The New Year is approaching and that means it’s time to make mochi! We wanted to share an easy recipe using a box of Jell-O that we tried (original recipe was found on ilovehawaiianfoodrecipes.com which seems to be down at the moment). You will need only a few ingredients and a microwave.
Mix your ingredients according to the recipe until everything is well blended. When you place it in the microwave, make sure your bowl is microwave safe.
Microwave your mixture for 1 minute. Depending on your microwave, you may have to do this a few times. We had to do it about 4 times to get the right consistency.
This next part is a little messy. Poor Happy Chan! The Mochi will be hot as you handle the pieces, so make sure to dust your hands with starch and handle everything carefully.
Tada! Mochi is ready! Very easy recipe to follow and perfect for when you you’re in a pinch. Let us know if you try it!
Strawberry Jello Mochi
- 1 cup mochiko sweet flour
- 1 3 oz box strawberry Jell-O
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- potato or corn starch (for dusting)
- In a microwaveable bowl, add flour, jello and sugar. Whisk together until combined.
- Add cup of hot water and vanilla, mix until well blended.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 1 minute. Uncover and mix, repeat until mixture is solid. Depending on your microwave, you may have to repeat 3 to 5 times, or 3 to 5 minutes.
- On a baking sheet, line with parchment paper and dust with starch. Place cooked mochi and add more starch. Press mochi until you have a rectangle, then slice into squares. Slice enough so you can pull a section to roll into balls.
- Mochi will be hot so dust your hands with starch and handle carefully. You should be able to make 14 to 16 pieces.